[Dixielandjazz] Tunes for kids

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 20:34:08 PDT 2007

Our mate Bill Haesler asked about what jazz tunes young kids might enjoy as
background music to get them subliminally interested in Jazz.

Few answered, probably because he asked for "educators" to respond. :-) VBG.

So, Bill asked again. OK Bill, this from a jazz musician. Put on any
swinging stuff that has a modern 4/4 beat to it. Lay off the old stuff.

Play Randy Reinhart, Jon Erik Kelso, Kenny Davern, Ken Peplowski, John
Cocuzzi, etc., etc., etc. And drummers like Ed Metz Jr., Joe Ascione, Tony
DiNicola, et al. Etc., etc., etc.

Forget all those cute old chestnut tunes that you love. Play the swingers.
with a fairly modern beat for the kids. That's what they'll hear later in
the wide world when they grow up, not Hot 5/7, or Armand J. Piron. If you
must play older stuff, play Bechet and Armstrong All Stars.

Or, better yet, get DVDs of all those old cartoons that feature "cartoon
music". After all is said and done, many of us got our first taste of jazz
via cartoons and WE LOVED IT.

Please folks, don't start a cartoon music thread again. We all know many
hate the term, but that's besides the point. The music and the visuals had a
way of connecting with us old folks even if we won't admit it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone