[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet tuning

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Tue Jun 12 20:27:19 PDT 2007

Larry and Jack, always wanted to try a Buescher and those testimonials may
get me closer.  I¹m a closet tenor player myself, inspired by Stan Getz¹s
bossa nova jazz which I¹ve loved since 1962, definitely MKOM.  Anyone who
has never had to try to play the slush pump well cannot appreciate how
wonderful it is to be able to blow, wiggle your fingers and produce
articulated...NOTES!  So sax is my therapy, although I can¹t read it.
(Hell, I can¹t read much bone either, truth be told.)  I have a circa 1937
Martin Handcraft tenor in perfect playing condition which really honks some
dark stuff.  But my pride and joy is my King Zephyr Special, from around
1941.  Just a beautiful tenor with wonderful tone and a great action. I play
it with a medium chamber Meyer 7 rubber mpc.  I also like an old red plastic
Runyon I stumbled across, which screams like one of those metal mpcs with
the name that eludes me at the moment. But with the Meyer and the right
reed, I can almost get some of that Stan Getz tone going on Girl From
Ipanema and Corcovado, et al.  It¹s fun. In my next life, God¹s promised to
send me back as a tenor player. She wouldn¹t curse me with the t-bone
twice....would She?

David Dustin