[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Tuning

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 19:17:42 PDT 2007

I agree that the 400s are the apogee for saxes.  I bought my alto on Ebay.
I had bought a 1960 S-7 alto and wasn't happy with it.  By that time,
Buescher had started buying and using Bundy parts for the posts and spoon
key linkages.

I got the 1949 Buescher and then had it completely restored....engraving and
all. It took over a year!  But the horn is perfect.  I just wish I played
alto better.  I've been playing tenor for so long I seem to have lost my
alto touch.

I've the 1952 Buescher 400 tenor since 1974 and would never part with it.
Big, mellow sound and a light touch.  Great if you're doing a Hawkins
tribute.

I've got a curved Buescher soprano from 1920 that has the most incredible
voice. The make shows as "Perfectone" but it's a Buescher stencil. Only
keyed to Eb, but with that voice, who cares.

A shame that Buescher sold out to Selmer and then went tiny and tinny back
in the 1960s.

Jack Bryce