[Dixielandjazz] Tune Lists for gigs

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 12 18:53:19 PDT 2007

I like to use a variation of that but the only reason I might want a list is
to ensure that I don't call a tune twice.

BUT I also work for a guy that's very adamant about an order before each
set.  He's very a**l about it.  He pulls the tunes for the hour and rarely
varies from it.  I have to say in the past five or six years he's gotten
better at it but I have also watched him kill a crowd who was dancing like
crazy to a particular type of music only to hit them with several things
they could care less about.

Lists are great for concerts but not so good for live crowds who may want to
dance.

When I was more active in the clubs and dances the vocalist would be picking
something while we were playing and while she was taking a chorus I would be
thinking of the next tune.  Reading a crowd is an art and Lists are paint by
number.

Personally I would rather not use one but if in a concert situation with an
audience staring at us I prefer having the tunes pre ordered where everyone
just turns pages.  It saves a lot of "Hey I don't have that one".  This is
assuming music is being used.

On an improv gig a general list is good enough.
Larry
St. Louis