[Dixielandjazz] Rehearsals

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Jun 12 14:55:13 PDT 2007

My band, The Michigan Nighthawks, reheared on the gig. That was possible
because of two things. 1, the sight reading leval of the players was
very high, and 2, the arrangers, myself and the trombone player, never
overwrote but kept charts to minimal tutti parts and allowed for lots of
improv..
We played every Tuesday night at one club for seven years straight, (364
night, three sets a night) and we would bring in a new chart or two a
week, play it sight read time, then play it every week on one of the
three sets a night, then forgot about it -- just had only to call it up
and we played it without effort.
We did a lot of doubling so writing for the band was fun. We might have
two clarinets and cornet, two trombones and bari sax, standard
Chicago/Condon/Bobcat type front lie, and several variations. This was
as much to keep us from getting bored as it was to achieve some
interesting voicings that got people's attention -- and our own.
It worked for us, so rehearsals were saved for times when we were hired
to play a show or act, or for the studio recording sessions.
This may not work for everyone -- but if you have those first two
elements then fewer rehearsals may be needed - plus introducing new
things on the gig keeps all on their toes.
Don Ingle