[Dixielandjazz] Tune Lists for gigs

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 16:21:20 PDT 2007

We've started using set lists on the past few gigs just to minimize the  loss
of on-stage momentum.  But it's critical to be audience  sensitive.  In the
first set we may play the first 3 or 4 on the list then  decide where to go
after that depending on the audience's response (or lack  thereof---we sometimes
land in a bar where the sound is off but a big game is on  the tube and it
turns into a rehearsal evening---wait, that's another  thread).

But on any list we mix up keys and tempos.  Never do two B-flat tunes  back
to back.  Never do two slow tunes back to back.  And constantly  ask for
requests.  Somebody in the group usually knows it and the rest of  us can usually
fake it.  One of the advantages of not playing off  charts--damn, that's a
different thread too.

K.C. Clarinet