[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman small group CDs

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 12 15:55:01 PDT 2007

> To add to Bill's information, Columbia issued 4 CD's of the small group
> sides from 1939-1946. One of these was released under Charlie
> Christian's
> name. Furthermore, Mosaic issued its Capitol Small Group Recordings
> covering
> the period from 1944 to 1955. All are long out of print.
>
> In your search for the late 30's and early 40's material, search using
> "Charlie Christian" for many of these Goodman sides.
>
> I second, as would many others, Bill's recommendation of World's
> Records as
> a resource.

Dear Stan,
Thank you for the additional support.
The 1947-49 Capitol small group BG sides are on Blue Moon 1042 & 1043
Vols I & 2.
I do not have these as I already have the material on other CDs.
(Like a fool, I left my order for the Mosaic set too late - and missed
out!)
There is also an excellent complete Charlie Christian 4-CD set, apart
from the silly packaging in the Gibson amplifier 'box'. But this only
covers 1939-1941, both small groups and big band.
The later Columbia small group sides are spread over various Phontastic
and Classics CDs, some of which aren't currently available.
A pity that Columbia chose to delete their two 1988-89 CDs [1941-1945
and 1945-46].
But I'm OK, I've got 'em.
8>)
Kind regards,