[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Tuning

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 12 15:16:15 PDT 2007

Well mine isn't 100% either but it's manageable.  I forgot to add that I
eventually had my Selmer barrel cut down which is a whole lot cheaper than a
click barrel and is better for the sound.

Instruments like mouthpieces have to fit you.  I have played horns that
others rave about and can't see much to them.  That's why I still play on a
Conn 10 M tenor rather than a Selmer or Custom Yamaha.  I really like Yamaha
for the most part but I still cling to the Conn and have never replaced it.
You might very well have played on an instrument and someone else play it
differently.  I am convinced that what you do inside of your mouth, tongue
placement and bone structure make a difference as to how a particular horn
plays for you or in some cases don't.

I don't think that it's very productive to copy what someone else does with
mouthpieces etc because it's a combination that works for you.  Horns play
their part too.  I have played several high end clarinets and didn't like
them as much as my 10G or my Bundy for that matter.

Speaking of my Bundy.  If I didn't have a lot of money I would look up an
older Selmer Bundy.  I don't think you can beat one unless you spend a whole
lot of money.  At least on mine the intonation is pretty good and it has a
whole lot of volume with pretty good tone.  I kind of like the key layout
too.
Larry
St. Louis