[Dixielandjazz] Rehearsing.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 12 14:33:31 PDT 2007

Rehearsing on stage is a time honored institution but it might be a good
idea to have a little clarification.  As Steve pointed out more or less if
you have pro level or at least experienced players they will be listening
like glue to the other players.  Endings and intros tend to standardize at
least a little and once the lead person gives the band the signal to go out
a listening player will go with them.

Rehearsals in some bands tend to be "OK guys lets start at A and Joe play a
little softer this time and some of you missed a couple ..........."  This
type of rehearsal doesn't happen very often with pro level players and if
you have worked with someone for any length of time you KNOW what he's
thinking and what he or she will do so it's just a new chord progression and
different notes but the essentials stay the same.

In jazz mistakes will be made and I am pretty convinced that a lot of licks
were really mistakes that someone fixed or thought was cool.  Jazz takes
bold players who aren't afraid of making mistakes.  You never see the
mistakes of the great masters because they painted over them.

One of my current bands rehearses pretty much regularly because I wasn't
able to permanently attract the top pros and to tighten up with people who
don't do a lot of Dixie just isn't an automatic thing.  My Cornet player and
I don't mind rehearsing.  He is in another band that rehearses regularly
also.  Lacking steady gigs the chops tend to go and someone who intends on
playing can't let that happen.  This work is starting to pay off and we
aren't rehearsing as much but we aren't to the point that I would take a
completely new tune on the stand without having run through it at least once
off stand.

I play in several bands that do not rehearse.  We show up, we play and we go
home and My cornet player and I rehearse tunes all the time on the stand
with our Duo.  I usually say something about taking a request that will
stump the band and before anyone says anything I say I have one to stump the
Cornet player and then we do the new tune.  We then play through it like we
have known the tune all our lives with one exception.  If its a rock tune
from the 70's on I play through it once and my friend bangs on the
tambourine or usually not.  The then takes the middle chorus.  We then
discuss how much I spent on tambourine lessons for him and he could at least
bring it sometimes.  The people love it but we have it from then on.

Real Jazz just can't be rehearsed.  Big band is different from combo work
and small group is what I think we are talking about.

Timing is also important.  I don't think many bands who rehearse on stage
introduce a new tune at the hottest part of the evening or in front of a
concert audience.  An informal, dancing, milling crowd aren't listening all
that close but the concert audience is just setting there staring at you and
hopefully listening too.

It would also be somewhat unwise to try a tune that was a total stranger to
most of the band.

There are certain things that have to be in place before a band can get away
with this.
1. a set of visual or aural signals or at least eye contact to designate
solos, endings etc. This includes declining a solo too.
2. most of the players should have some knowledge of the tune especially the
rhythm section.
3. horn players that can arrange on the fly
4. horn players that can play off of each other
5. horn players that can pick up a riff or background idea instantly when
the leader or other player sets it up.
6. key change signals - one finger up = 1 sharp = key of G.  One finger down
= 1 flat = key of  F
7. Ending signals such as clenched fist for out.  Finger making circles for
the same thing.
8. horn player directing ritards with his horn
9. a fixed order of solos after the head.

I'm sure that there are more but those are the essentials.  Some are things
any band can do but the listening skills to do others on the list just have
to be worked at.  This is how the experienced band with pro level players
always seem to be able to pull off tunes, even new ones.

There is a lot of controversy about using music or not but bands that don't
use music or at most use fake sheets will be a whole lot more successful at
doing an untried tune on stage.  People who bury their face in a chart tend
to not be as flexible and are less likely to pick up on those signals.
Musicians who don't have very good control over their instruments and  have
to concentrate on a chart and the mechanics of their instrument can't pay
attention to other things besides the chart.

All those basics are predicated on one thing and that is the musicians are
constantly communicating with each other and are paying attention with a lot
of concentration to the other players and leader.  Almost all of these
things are body language or sound cues and some are very subtle like knowing
when to play loud or soft.

Lacking some or all of those things then rehearsals are the way to go but it
is difficult to get groups together.  I do both.  My rehearsal group does a
lot more obscure tunes that are more unknown to the members.

I play with a big band that almost every chart is somewhat new to everyone.
The level of the players is just so high that everything comes off but we
usually have a paid rehearsal before the concerts which consist of starting
each tune for tempo and playing once through the unfamiliar tunes once for
key and sometimes we go through a soli a couple of times.  Soloists are
designated and that's about it.  If you have strong readers and soloists you
can get away with it.
Larry
St. Louis