[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman small group CDs

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 11 22:15:02 PDT 2007

> Can anyone point me to a (reasonably priced ) collection of ALL the
> small group stuff (I have
> a number of these on 45s bought in the 50s, but would love to have
> them on CD) -- I think
> this includes trios, quartets, quintets, sextets, and septets.

Dear Larry,
RCA 68764 'Benny Goodman. The Complete Small Groups [1935-1939]' has
all you want of the trios, quartets and one quintet session in a 3-CD
package. Everything in chronological order, including alternate masters
and some previously unissued items. With a 20-page detailed and
informative booklet.
Great stuff and very well remastered.
It is currently in stock at Worlds Records, Novato CA for $44.00 plus
postage.
[CD Baby, Amazon, Venerable and others in the US may have it a little
cheaper.
I have been using Worlds since the days of LP and am still a very
satisfied customer.]
BG left Victor in April 1939 and shortly after signed with Columbia. He
was with them through to 1946.
This change coincided with the departure of Teddy Wilson and the
addition of Charlie Christian to the band. It was also the period of
the quintets, sextets, and septets, the first of which was recorded in
Oct 1939.
Benny then signed with Capitol (1946-1949) which produced more small
group recordings,
Unfortunately the Columbia and Capitol small group recordings have
never been reissued as complete chronolgical sets. There were 2
Columbia 'small group' CDs, but these are now out-of-print. Most of the
Capitol sides are currently available on CD.
If you are really interested in the current availability of the
1940s-50s BG small groups on CD, I would need to sit down for a few
hours to work out what is on what.
As a keen BG collector I have most, if not all, of his recordings up to
about 1948, then quite a few more from then on.
Kind regards,
Bill.