[Dixielandjazz] Jacques Gauthe

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 11 03:25:52 PDT 2007

> I have just received news that clarinetist/soprano saxophonist Jacques
> Gauthe' has passed away in France.

Oh no!
Not another one.
I was very fortunate to have met and listened to Jacques when he came
to Australia in February 1983.
I know the date because, through a friend, he carried for me (all the
way from New Orleans) a hot-off-the-press copy of the pictorial book
'Black Beauty, White Heat'.
A fine clarinet player and he perfect gentleman.
I have several recordings of Jacques including the duets he made with
that other great French clarinet player, Claude Luter, who died in
October last year.
Kind regards,
Bill.