[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman and the use of microphones

confit at isp.com confit at isp.com
Sun Jun 10 14:45:49 PDT 2007

I have a story to relate that was told to me by one of Benny's sideman. I
will not mention the name of the musician as I don't have his permission
to relate the story. Nothing incriminating, but without his expressed
permission I won't use his name.

As I recall the story, it comes from a performance by the re-formed band
that saxophonist Loren Schoenberg was involved with. The band was
scheduled to play at Wolf Trap for an outdoor concert. Sound men had spent
some time setting up mikes for every instrument, since it's a huge outdoor
venue. When Goodman arrived the sound man, pleased with his set-up, asked
Mr. Goodman what he thought. Goodman's response was "take away all the
mikes except for one in front for announcements." Aghast, the sound men
removed all the mikes.

It may be easy to say that Benny always used a microphone, but in the
1930s and 1940s sound systems were pretty archaic and I personally doubt
that he did.

Regards,
Chris Buch