[Dixielandjazz] Joey Morant

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Sun Jun 10 10:19:17 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I have to say that it is time for me apologize for trashing Joey in
front of the public. I was honest, indeed, and I still think that I was
right in my judgment - but, on the other hand, you are right, it is
really nasty to make such a criticism on a list like this.

Steve, remember that I criticized Jonathan Russell about two years ago
because - being a violinist myself - I saw lot of possibly dangerous
mistakes in his playing from that video displayed on the net (Lady Be
Good) - and I have seen many so called child prodigies "improving" into
mediocre players over the years; so I wrote to his mother and explained
my opinion. I'm not sure it was done publicly but it might have been.
Anyway, "J" has convinced me and I just invited him to my Bohem Ragtime
& Jazz Festival in Hungary - they are still hesitating if they'll make
it. So I did not put down that little kid then for ever.

Back to Joey: While it was rude what I did, on the other hand I strongly
feel that music should be about quality AND communication. Many people
can communicate with the audience but they are doing bad quality music,
not only in jazz. I think that many good musicians are not getting the
fame they deserve because they are not pushing themselves enough. At
least in the festival circuit. MANY great US players get much less good
gigs in Europe than Joey - only because they are not managing themselves
enough. It doesn't make them worse communicators with the audience. They
are not as good communicators with the managers and organizers probably.
Or they are just not as loud on stage. What would poor Bobby Hackett do
in a cutting contest with Joey today? I'm afraid that probably Joey
would win. And that's not about the quality of the music they are
producing. That's about the spoiled taste of the general public in
Europe - and probably in the US, too.

Joey has a very strong feel for power, communication, and presentation
of himself. Others have a very strong feel for the presentation of
music. Well, everyone argue on this. But there is no point to argue on
that a jazz musician HAS TO be able to count 4 bars and 16 bars and 32
bars or whatever. And 4 beats in a bar (unless there's a waltz is being
played). And Joey failed in this many times in Pori. He is surely much
better with his own band in his familiar surrounding. And he is a
black-belt karate champion so I don't want to be his enemy :-) I just
want to save the place for good musicians. But, again, you, who
criticized me for making such criticism in public, are absolutely right.
Sorry again - and let me stick to my opinion. It might be changed as it
has been in the case of "J".

Just one last remark: one of the most important thing for a musician
(and every human being) is the ability for right self-evaluation. If
there is a lack of this, you are in trouble. If it works, far less
people would criticize you. I mean myself, too.

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com