[Dixielandjazz] A long shot?

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sat Jun 9 03:37:46 PDT 2007

Shalom Jazz Fans,

If anyone can help me with this one, I'll be really shocked.

Does anyone know of any OKOM in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania? Yes, friends, it's
good-bye India, and hello Africa. I am invited by the people I do Bible
translation work with to a training session in Tanzania that will kick off
some new projects of theirs in Africa. Don't know yet if this will become a
recurring gig like India has been. I'll be there July 1 to 9. If anyone
knows any OKOM venues or players in town, please let me know.

One of the managers from the main office in Texas is a closet banjo picker
(5-string). We worked together in India on my first trip in 2001. I had
brought my banjo and trumpet, and got invited to sit in with the house band
at the hotel restaurant whenever we went there for dinner. (Yes, the band
played 6 nights a week! And we think *they're* poor!) When my partner saw
how well the banjo was received by the diners, he decided to get his out and
start working to improve his own skills. We have not worked together since
then, but he tells me he's been doing some pickin' and grinnin' with other
players in his family, and in a local bluegrass band. Hopefully he will
bring his ax to Tanzania, but he has a long trip and it might be too much
for him to drag around Africa with him all the way from Texas.

So, I'll see what kind of trouble I can stir up as a circuit riding
e-"banjo"-ist. Thanks in advance for any leads.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel