[Dixielandjazz] Grady Gardenhire - young 'bone' player

L Patrick Briody lpbriody at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 05:41:02 PDT 2007

Listmates,
  As 70 year-old bone-man-in-training, I was recently attracted to a special performance at the Lincoln Center that featured a big band comprised of the top high school performers and Steve Turre, which was a new name for me.  The evening was advertised as a trombone concert where the bone section of high schoolers was featured on most numbers.
  No, Turre is not a Jack Teagarden.  His is an entirely different style, instrumentally and personally.  But, he did seem to relate very well to the young musicians (who were mightily accomplished  themselves).  As many of today's jazz trombonists, there's is a blend of OKOM and more progressive styles.  Another example is Wycliff Gordon who is on the faculty of Julliard.
  I bought an apartment on the upper west side six months ago and since then have been able to take advantage of the many music facilities at Lincoln Center.  As a result, my ear is becoming more and more pleased by the creativity of many of the musicians, young and old, that learn and perform there.  I learned that it may not be OKOM, but I can enjoy it anyway.
  Regards.
  Pat

David Dustin <postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org> wrote:
  Somebody wrote:
..here's a young man who has that necessary fire in his belly for OKOM! When
he finishes at San Joaquin Delta College, he's planning on attending school
at Manhattan School of Music for an advanced degree.
I surely wish him well. But I can only hope the Manhattan School of Music
doesn¹t turn this OKOM-leaning kid into Steve Turre or Conrad Herwig instead
of Russ Phillips Sr/Jr or John Allred (recent exemplars). It would be nice
if somebody, somewhere, could endow the Jack Teagarden Department of Jazz
Trombone Studies somewhere so that trad bone could have a permanent advocate
in the halls of music education. Does that wealthy/altruistic Domino¹s
pizza founder happen to love OKOM, by any chance?

David Dustin, who wishes he had 1/100th of Jack¹s techique