[Dixielandjazz] Grady Gardenhire - young 'bone' player

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Fri Jun 8 04:58:34 PDT 2007

Somebody wrote:
..here's a young man who has that necessary fire in his belly for OKOM! When
he finishes at San Joaquin Delta College, he's planning on attending school
at Manhattan School of Music for an advanced degree.
I surely wish him well. But I can only hope the Manhattan School of Music
doesn¹t turn this OKOM-leaning kid into Steve Turre or Conrad Herwig instead
of Russ Phillips Sr/Jr or John Allred (recent exemplars).  It would be nice
if somebody, somewhere, could endow the Jack Teagarden Department of Jazz
Trombone Studies somewhere so that trad bone could have a permanent advocate
in the halls of music education.  Does that wealthy/altruistic Domino¹s
pizza founder happen to love OKOM, by any chance?

David Dustin, who wishes he had 1/100th of Jack¹s techique