[Dixielandjazz] Hobby Musicians

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jun 7 16:05:14 PDT 2007

I completely understand the desire to play for people.  After all we learn
to play instruments to play them for people.

I play music to make money and have done that ever since the first person
handed me $5.  Growing up without things, like food, was a motivation to get
paying jobs.  When I was in H.S. I had the best cloths, a car and I had my
shoes shined.  I owned more and much higher quality cloths than I have now.
These are pretty big incentives. The need to put myself through college and
try to provide for a family was all the impetus that I needed to keep
playing.  I was also willing to go to the background work to keep employed.

Honestly today I don't need to do anything for anybody but I charge money
for several reasons.  The first is money is good to have and I have
expensive tastes in music stuff.  I am still good enough to command a
reasonable amount of money in the field.  I charge enough that I am not
undercutting any other pro.  I don't want to play clubs so I am not taking
money from other pros who have to live on the steady gigs.  I prefer to make
it in single engagements which is a lot more difficult than steady gigs.

I guess I would rather have money than someone tell me how good I am.  By
the way I'm one of the few guys that will walk up to another player and tell
him how well I thought he did but I don't gush either.  My point is how much
is it worth if the leader of the band complements a guy that totally sucks
and then comes over to me and tells me how great I was?

I also understand that it's very nice to receive complements but when a guy
who is very picky about who he hires calls me I take that as a complement.
I have been playing for two such guys one of whom is a real trial to work
for.  Do I like working for him?  Actually yes but it's not because of his
charming personality.  I like playing his book and the rest of the guys in
the band and I like the finished product.  I also feel good about playing
with a good band.

I guess I have never known what it is to play recreationally.  Even the
"fun" bands I have played with were to keep up chops or to make contacts
with other musicians and sometimes clients.  So even they are business with
me even though I didn't get paid.

Does it suck the life out of creativity?  I can't agree with that although
some leaders with their BS can do that but there are people in hobby bands
that can do that too.

I think that hobby bands should play for things that would never hire
someone to play such as church picnics or street fairs or a school event.
You could play yourself silly on those kind of things.

The minute you start playing for a profit making entity weather it's a run
down coffee house or a senior citizen home, a bar or a country club.  It
makes no difference, you have in fact become a part of commerce that will
enhance that business and as such should be paid for that service.  If that
business won't pay for your service then go elsewhere don't just gift them.
As I said there are hundreds of places to play that are out of that realm
where you will be appreciated.

Although I mentioned churches I may hedge that a bit because they have
become venues with paid musicians.  My daughter goes to a Mega Church and
they have a sound stage that can put a pro studio to shame.  The musicians
are paid and even tour.  They bring in "names" in that field too.  Going to
church is like going to a concert.  Even that has become show biz.

I make a very clear separation between the two.  Occasionally I donate my
services.  I have a gig coming up in September where the band is getting
paid but I am donating my services.  I can donate for myself but not for
them.

It seems to be a fact that if you turn a hobby into a profession that tends
to kill the hobby.  I have seen it dozens of times but it doesn't have to.
That's a function of your, or anyone else's, personality and how much
individual drive and love of something you might have.  There is a term for
that and it's called "burn out."  It happens across the board in all
professions and it's not confined to people who turn their hobby into a
profession.

I don't have a solution for that.  If I did I would be very rich.

I think there is another difference between pros and the hobby musician.
The pro is available all the time but the other guys don't play on holidays
or days or at their whim.  I work a lot because we are available at odd
times when it isn't convenient to perform.  I am working this Sunday because
a band decided for what ever reason to not show up.  We are reliable whereas
hobby bands aren't.

There are paces in the country that just won't support professional music
and you may very well be in one of those.  I think the rules may very well
change in places like that.  I know there are places in Missouri where no
matter how good you are you couldn't get a paying gig.

I have always gravitated to the big city for that exact reason.  If I lived
in an out of the way town what would I do?  It wouldn't be professional
music I think.
Larry
St. Louis