[Dixielandjazz] A Good Rule For Volume

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Thu Jun 7 13:14:34 PDT 2007

Years ago I left a 50's-60's rock group I was playing in because, as
they began getting more and more work, they began thinking that they
had to play louder.. Perhaps it was because the  steadily increasing
volumes were causing steadily increasing hearing losses. Loved playing
the tunes - -hated the volume.

  I had begun to notice that people who at one time were able to
comfortably talk to one another at a comfortable standing distance were
later on in our events, as we got "better" (i.e. louder) having to lean
into one another and put their mouths next to another person's ear in
order to tell them something, then have to swap ear-to-mouth to get an
answer.  Something was wrong with this picture.  The only time I want
my mouth that close to another person's ear is to whisper sweet
nothings.   ( And these days that's easy for me because I mostly have
nothing to say)

It was then that I developed the motto I've applied to every group I've
had any control over, regarding volume:

ALLOW THEM TO HEAR YOU - -DON'T MAKE THEM HEAR YOU.

Have the volume set at a level so that perhaps they might want to ask
you to turn it up, but never the opposite.