[Dixielandjazz] young kid players

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Wed Jun 6 13:17:46 PDT 2007

You guys seem to be bragging about finding young kids that can play
OKOm well, and I had an experience last year that blew me away as far
coming across a young person who could "cut it".  I saw this young gal
bass player playing in a local well-known local big band, and she was
reading the spots and chord charts like a pro.  The very next  week a
job sprang up, must my bass player couldn't make it so I hired the gal.

The job consisted of reading lead sheets only, with some soloing on her
part. During a break the other 3 guys were complimenting her on how
well she played, and I chimed in,"Yeah, isn't she great for being 17
years old?"

"17?" she asked.  "I'm not 17.  I'm only 15 and 1/2.  That's why my
mother drives me to gigs".  She's quite tall, but also measured up in
her incredible ability.  She's Jessica Jones of Modesto.  Remember the
name . . . . .