[Dixielandjazz] Jubilee, Sacramento Bee

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jun 4 23:34:56 PDT 2007

Sacramento Bee
May 30, 2007

Sunday night in Old Sac. The smell of barbecued oysters fills the air. The
Delta
breeze is sending a cool breeze up the waterfront, and at the Firehouse lot,
the
joint is jumpin'. The Rebirth Brass Band has just taken the stage.

A gift from the shattered city of N.O., rebirth launches into a few
traditional numbers,
including a fine version of Duke Ellington's "A Train". But then they get
funky -
the way we like it - with a rendition of Dixie Cups' "Iko, Iko". Soon the
area in
front of the stage is a Crescent City Mosh Pit, with folks young and old
bopping
to a beat that seemed to blow in straight from the Gulf of Mexico.
This is the Jazz Jubilee?

For a few seconds - or more accurately, for about 7,000 seconds - I thought
I was
back in Nawlins' Jazz Fest. Cold beer in hand. Fried catfish in my tummy.
And the
sound of seven guys who can make magic from a tuba, two trombones, a
trumpet, a sax,
bass drum and snare drum.

Snare drummer Derrick Tabb was the star of Sunday's show. It was Derrick's
birthday,
and as he beat the dickens out of his drum, the rest of the band gigged him
mercilessly.
At one point they even revealed his hotel room number to the young gals
dancing in
front of the stage.

Mystery Man was the other big star. When Rebirth started playing an up-beat
version
of "When the Saints Go Marching In,' they were looking for an audience
volunteer
to sing a few lines. Out of nowhere, Mystery Man takes the microphone and
brings
down the house with seveal soulful stanzas. What a voice? Who was this guy?

Whatever. At that point, there was no doubt that my wife Micaela and I were
staying
for Re- birth's second set. The only difficult question was whether we'd
stay hydrated
with an Alaskan Amber of a Blue Moon.

Rebirth, founded in 1983, hails from a vital but imperiled tradition in
American
music. Historically, these brass bands came out of the poor neighborhoods of
New
Orleans, and would play on street corners or lead funeral processions. Now
they play
a mixture of traditional jazz, rock, funk and even hip-hop - trying to claim
a new
base of fans in a town that has lost more than half of its population.

That's why it was so stirring to see Rebirth at the Jazz Jubilee. In recent
years,
this music festival itself has struggled with an identity crisis. Its core
audience
is the older folks who enjoy a gentle form of Dixieland jazz. But its future
may
well rest in the mosh pit of the Rebirth show.

Judging by Sunday's audience, there are lots of folks in Sacramento who
appreciate
true roots music - the kind you hear at the New Orleans Jazz Fest or South
by Southwest
in Austin, Texas. The trick is honoring the origins of true American jazz
while attracting
a new generation of music lovers. Rebirth is what it is all about.

-Stuart Leavenworth
sleavenworth at sacbee.com