[Dixielandjazz] Perfect pitch

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jun 4 10:33:22 PDT 2007

I found the article to be very interesting.  While I worked at Missouri
School for the Blind I did some studies on the subject.  The question always
was can you learn it or not and what are it's characteristics.

I first got interested in it because I couldn't get a couple of my horn
students to play in tune no matter what I did.  I knew they had perfect
pitch and could do all the tricks that were mentioned.   They could tell me
the key of anything and what the notes were in a chord and the pitch of a
car engine or a door squeak.  But they couldn't play in tune even with
themselves.

I got my strobotuner down and started doing graphs to find out what if
anything I could do or at least learn something about it.  Here I had kids
with perfect pitch that wasn't

One of the characteristics that they all displayed was the notes C D E F and
G (first octave middle C to G second line) were the worst but other notes in
other octaves were out to a lesser extent.  The other characteristic was
that they all lived at the school and had been there since kindergarten.  I
thought that this was very odd.  Not being a piano player I didn't put it
together real fast but my office was right next to the piano practice area.
I started checking the pianos and those notes right in the center were the
most out of tune on all the schools pianos probably because of misuse.

My conclusion was that they learned their perfect pitch on instruments that
were out of tune.

While I do agree that you can't learn perfect pitch (at least as an adult)
relative pitch can get better.  I know from personal experience that my
sense of pitch keeps getting better and things that are out of tune bother
me more and more.  I was near a choir yesterday that was all over the place
and it absolutely drove me to distraction and I was really happy when they
quit.

I did an experiment on myself that lasted a month that you might try.  Every
morning when I got up and had not been contaminated by sounds I would try to
remember a pitch and I would turn on my tape recorder and hum that pitch
into it.  After thirty days I played back the tape.  There was some
variation but I was surprised at how many times I had hit the pitch right on
or was only a little off.  There were a few days I missed entirely but
usually not more than a minor second.

When I was in college there was another student named Bob Sisco who had an
octet and played Alto Sax.  He would sit in the back of the room with me and
he would arrange an entire octet arrangement in the class time.  A few
minutes before the class would finish he would write out the entire ear
training dictation lesson and hand it in.  Yes he got A's.  What an amazing
gift.  Bob went to LA to become an arranger and writer and was killed in a
car wreck.  That was about 1964 or so.

I went to a concert last year put on by the AF Academy Jazz band.  In that
group there was an exceptionally talented Trombone player.  As the
performance wore on I became more and more irritated at him and his solos.
Although his performance was brilliant he was out of tune with the band.  By
the end of the evening I was ready to jump off a bridge.

It dawned on me that he might very well have perfect pitch and was more or
less saying I am right, everyone else is wrong, full speed ahead and damn
the torpedoes.   That didn't make me feel better about his performance.

I guess I do in a way agree with the article in that people with perfect
pitch maybe should stick to their own kind.  I think good relative pitch is
much more of an asset to a working musician unless he wants to do
transcriptions from records.

Perfect pitch does not guarantee that the person will be a good musician.
There is a band leader here who has transcribed an incredible library of
Kenton and other big band tunes from records yet he is a perfectly crappy
trumpet player and has a perfectly crappy big band.  Does he have perfect
pitch? Maybe but I wouldn't trade places although I wish I could listen to
something and write out the chart.

I find that I hear sharp and like things bright.  Instruments tuned to A-440
sound a little flat to me.  I'm also surprised that the author of the
article played guitar which is always a little out of tune when moving
between keys and can't be tempered.  While I played guitar I liked the B
string tweaked a little sharp to sound in tune to me.

I was listening to a recording I made where we sat down and started the
concert.  I don't remember anyone tuning before hand yet the entire piece is
right on.  I think that's the goal.
Larry
St. Louis