[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Cruises

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 2 17:04:05 PDT 2007

"James O'Briant" <jobriant at garlic.com> wrote

> They don't do Klezmer cruises very often -- it appears from the article that
> it's a once-a-year thing.
>
> And there are occasional cruises with trad jazz.  In May I got a call to
> "sub" on tuba with the Natural Gas Jazz Band for an all-day cruise on the
> WWII Liberty Ship "Jeremiah O'Brien," which goes out on jaunts like this
> once or twice a year.  (Unfortunately the call came on short notice and I
> already had another gig, so I had to turn it down.)

Small world. There is an annual Veterans cruise on a WW 2 liberty ship that
features Dixieland, sailing in Baltimore Harbor every year. I forget the
name of the ship but it is the last Liberty Ship on the East Coast.

There are also "riverboat" Dixieland cruises occasionally out of NYC,
Philadelphia and Northern NJ, but not near as many as their use to be.

Wish there were more.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone