[Dixielandjazz] vocals

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jun 2 05:16:50 PDT 2007

Since we have recently been discussing the importance of "reaching the
audience" through vocals, this little episode shines as a bit of proof as to
what some have said on DJML...that vocals help to make the all important
connection between musicians & the audience.

We are in the middle of a 10 night club engagement, and on the first nite
there was a problem with the monitors & I strained my voice.  For 5 days
now, I have been speaking little, singing not at all.  Had to go to the
doctor, who pulled my tongue out to what felt like to my navel, and stuck a
mirror down my throat!  The vocal chords apparently are all swollen.

The crux of my little story is that we have only sold like 7 CD's in 5 nites
of playing!  Believe me, that is not the norm, by far. It's certainly not
got anything to do with my having some kind of great voice (as was
graciously pointed out by a friend on DJML!).  It does prove, at least to
me, that the connection between audience & band has been disrupted.

Jim