[Dixielandjazz] Musicians talking during solos

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 00:20:23 PDT 2007

Perhaps that person would be more comfortable attending Chamber or Classical music performances or a Funeral ( but not a New Orleans Jazz Funeral )

They obviously have no idea what real Jazz is or is all about,  and yes when you have great improvising jazz players on a stage often for the first time together they do need to communicate to avoid the proverbial TRAIN WRECK.   THEY ARE AFTER ALL FLYING WITHOUT A PARACHUTE and walking a high wire without a safety net and usually wowing the majority of the audience in attendance as well.

Those who criticize this should try doing it sometime. :))

Jazz is not what;'s written on the paper, it's what comes from the heart and mind of the players on any given unrehearsed moment and is what creates the difference between great and mediocre performances of the same music.

I saw and heard lots of both at the Jazz Jubilee, and since I had only one day to be there I had to choose my poisons carefully, I missed a couple of good acts that I really wanted to catch but time and again distance between venues did not allow it to happen, and the shows that i did get to see were all excellent.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins