[Dixielandjazz] Entertainers vs. Artists

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 30 17:08:21 PDT 2007

on 7/30/07 6:48 PM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Steve Barbone wrote [snipped]:
>> I'm with Kash. IMO, entertaining the audience is why many jazz
>> musicians
>> perform. If you google search <Louis Armstrong + Entertainer> you will
>> come
>> up with all sorts of articles like this one:
>> "It can be argued that Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong has been the most
>> influential entertainer not just in jazz music, but in the history of
>> American pop culture.............But none compare to "Satch" who would
>> stay on top of the entertainment world
>> for six decades (not to mention his hit single "What a Wonderful
>> World" that
>> charted in Billboard more than 20 years after his death)."
>
> Dear Steve,
> Just prior to receiving your email, the latest e-Pops Newsletter from
> the Louis Armstrong archive in Queens arrived which says:
> "Please joins us  and Senator John Sabrini, Assemblyman Jose Perata,
> Assemblyman Jeff Aubry, and Queens Borough President Helen Marshall as
> we celebrate Louis Armstrong's birthday on Saturday, August 4, from 2
> to 6 pm.
> The party, at the Louis Armstrong House Museum at 34-56 107th
> Street, will feature free refreshments, the York College Blue Notes
> jazz ensemble, and Ballet Folklorico Father Billini. There will also be
> discounted admission to the museum and a special sale in the museum
> store.
> And...we are also celebrating $5 million in state funding to build a
> Visitors Center!"
>
> Notwithstanding the sentiments expressed above, am I alone in wondering
> that the York College Blue Notes Jazz Ensemble and the Ballet
> Folklorico Father Billini seem to be very strange musical choices to
> celebrate the birthday of the Great Man given the wealth of jazz talent
> available nearby?
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

No, you are not alone. <grin> There is a wealth of OKOM jazz musicians in
NYC that might have been invited to perform.

Plus the band that played in the stage play "The Louis Armstrong Story -
West End Blues" would probably have appeared if asked. They played 22 songs
from Hot 5/Hot 7 repertoire, 8 times a week for many months during the
play's run in Philadelphia and New York. Our trumpet player, Paul Grant was
in it and mastered the opening cadenza from West End Blues as well as anyone
I've ever heard, except Louis.

Too much politics, not enough Louis?

Ah well, our homage to Louis will be on August 5 at Hershey's Mill in West
Chester Pennsylvania.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone