[Dixielandjazz] Entertainers vs. Artists

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 30 15:48:26 PDT 2007

Steve Barbone wrote [snipped]:
> I'm with Kash. IMO, entertaining the audience is why many jazz
> musicians
> perform. If you google search <Louis Armstrong + Entertainer> you will
> come
> up with all sorts of articles like this one:
> "It can be argued that Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong has been the most
> influential entertainer not just in jazz music, but in the history of
> American pop culture.............But none compare to "Satch" who would
> stay on top of the entertainment world
> for six decades (not to mention his hit single "What a Wonderful
> World" that
> charted in Billboard more than 20 years after his death)."

Dear Steve,
Just prior to receiving your email, the latest e-Pops Newsletter from
the Louis Armstrong archive in Queens arrived which says:
    "Please joins us  and Senator John Sabrini, Assemblyman Jose Perata,
Assemblyman Jeff Aubry, and Queens Borough President Helen Marshall as
we celebrate Louis Armstrong's birthday on Saturday, August 4, from 2
to 6 pm.
    The party, at the Louis Armstrong House Museum at 34-56 107th
Street, will feature free refreshments, the York College Blue Notes
jazz ensemble, and Ballet Folklorico Father Billini. There will also be
discounted admission to the museum and a special sale in the museum
store.
    And...we are also celebrating $5 million in state funding to build a
Visitors Center!"

Notwithstanding the sentiments expressed above, am I alone in wondering
that the York College Blue Notes Jazz Ensemble and the Ballet
Folklorico Father Billini seem to be very strange musical choices to
celebrate the birthday of the Great Man given the wealth of jazz talent
available nearby?
Kind regards,
Bill.