[Dixielandjazz] Eliminating frequencies

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jul 30 03:57:23 PDT 2007

Ray wrote:
I expect to see the day where you can take those Oliver, Armstrong, Jelly
Roll tracks, and isolate the instruments by frequency -- telling the machine
"this is a clarinet, this is? a trumpet, this is a trombone..".?

Ray, I may be wrong (I quite often am when predicting what will happen in
the future), but when you talk about frequencies, they are just that.  A
machine can't distinguish between one instrument an another.  You can
eliminate a frequency in a flash (a good notch filter will do that for you),
but everyone hitting that frequency at that moment will disappear from the
recording.

Jim