[Dixielandjazz] Kid Ory

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri Jul 27 08:32:00 PDT 2007

Dick;

In his book "Classic Jazz", Floyd Levin devotes pages 14-24 to the story of
these Ory recordings. He states without reservation that they were made in
June, 1921 at the Nordskog Santa Monica studios. The recordings were the
work of the Spikes Brothers who wanted to produce their own recordings for
Los Angeles' black community. They created the "Sunshine" label and
contracted with Nordskog to record the Ory band and produce 5000 records for
Sunshine.

There were several wax masters made that afternoon. These masters were sent
to Arto Pressing Company in Orange, New Jersey. However, several masters
were destroyed by the heat traveling though the desert. "Ory's Creole
Trombone" master was cracked. Still it did get pressed. But the Nordskog
label was placed on the recordings which credited the band as "The Seven
Pods of Pepper".

The Spikes brothers placed their own "Sunshine Records" label over the
Nordskog label. Their label credited the artists as "Ory's Sunshine
Orchestra".

While the entire process is shrouded in the fog of time, Floyd was convinced
that the sessions were recorded in 1921. Other facts regarding the labeling
was somewhat controversial with many individuals giving differing accounts.

Vic Bellerty who wrote the liner notes for the ASV Living Era CD "Ory's
Creole Trombone" states that there is evidence that these Sunshine/Nordskog
recordings were made in 1922.

Stan
Stan Brager