[Dixielandjazz] Milneburg, if anyone cares...

Loerchen2 at aol.com Loerchen2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 21 12:43:00 PDT 2007

Craig,

Here's the short story about Milneburg Joys as I've researched it...

Like so many other classic jazz tunes, the basic tune was going around New
Orleans pre-NORK.  The NORK boys called it Golden Leaf Strut and played it  in
C.  When they decided to record it (Morton was included on that  session),
they transposed it to Bb.  For that session, Jelly Roll  wrote the
introduction/bridge that has become standard.  NORK therefore  gave him co-composer credit
for that part.  They renamed the  newly-revised tune "Milneburg Joys."

When NORK recorded Golden Leaf in 1925, they played it in its original form
and did not play it with Jelly's intro, and so (rightly) did not credit  him.
(Jelly never claimed to have written anything but the intro, see  Lomax.)  My
original sheet music copy does not have the intro either.

Hope this clears up any confusion --
Sue

********
Craig Johnson wrote:

"Milneberg Joys" (sometimes spelled Milenberg) credited to Jelly Roll  Morton
and the NORK
was recorded by the latter as "Golden Leaf Strut" sans  the credit to said
Morton.
Incidentally Milneberg is named after its founder,  a Scot named Alexander
Milne, hence the
spelling.

This led my errant  mind to look up "Silver Leaf Strut" which I've heard on
the record
by the  Silver Leaf Jazz Band., and about which I've been curious for some
time.
It  appears to have been written by Johnny Wiggs and originally named "Chef
Menteur's Joys"
- which I think I heard played by Wiggs eons ago.

If  these facts are untrue, I'm sure that through the list, 'the truth will
out."

Regards,
Craig Johnson
Cornet - "The Maine Street  Paraders"