[Dixielandjazz] Vale Bill Gunter - a Larrikin if ever there was one

Michael Thomason aussiemike at mac.com
Thu Jul 19 19:17:38 PDT 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrikinism

Listmates,
In an earlier post I referred to Bill as a 'Larrikin' and Bob Ringwald
wanted to know what the term meant.
Now I know that Bill Haesler, Ross Anderson and other Aussies on the
list would probably agree with me, but for the erudition of those less
familiar with the term I refer you to the link above from Wikipedia.

I first met Bill at a Washboard Concert at the Sacramento Jazz festival
about 8 years ago. Suzie and I were visiting from san Diego, and i
wanted to sit in.
Bill invited me to join the set and i had a ball! Suzie had met Bill
and Bev at a number of other festivals a few years earlier, including
the San Diego Thanksgiving Festival on  number of occasions. I will
always remember Bill as a kind, knowledgeable, and accomplished
musician friend.

In some ways I think he would have qualified for membership of that
rather exclusive group of Aussie Dixieland Musos, even though was a
'States'-Sider'!

Slainte Bill!

AussieMike