[Dixielandjazz] Bill Gunter RIP

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Thu Jul 19 17:43:08 PDT 2007

Dear Bev,

I am not only saddened but shocked about the death of Bill. Bill was not
only a wonderful human being but a great friend. A friend that is not
very common - even though we lived a world apart thus met just once in
every two or three years, he always seemed to be the very same kind man
who you could continue a conversation from two years ago right away. He
was a gentleman in every respect. I especially like those Americans who
master their language. There is not many of them. He was one of these
rare "human gems". (Very similarly to the great Chicagoan DJML'er
Charlie Hooks who also passed away unexpectedly.) Bill had a great sense
of humor. He was easygoing but determined. And I could continue for very
long with praising him for everything he was and everything he did. Of
course, due to the geographical distance I surely could not know Bill
deeply enough although I always felt that I had known him for ages and,
yes, deeply enough. He was one of those, again, rare individuals that I
could say only positive things about. Yeah, you could say that he might
have missed a beat or two on his washboard here and there - but he was a
good musician and a GREAT human being.

Bill was in Hungary playing with the Cell Block 7 at my Bohem Festival
this March. He looked great in spite of his age of 80. He, however,
mentioned something about feeling of getting older. But everybody in the
audience was astonished by his activeness and vitality. He was playing,
singing, announcing - and paying attention to everyone in the band and
the audience alike. I still can't believe that such a strong man could
not make it through this time.

I hope Bev that you will find your new perspectives in your future life
without Bill, too, although, I'm certain that he'll be with you in your
soul forever. Try to remain as strong and vital as you have always been
on his side. Try to be strong for him, too.

Bill, rest in peace, indeed. Thanks a lot for your friendship, thanks a
lot for your music, thanks a lot for your life. Love,

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com