[Dixielandjazz] Direct Mail

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 12:57:57 PDT 2007

> Larry posted some interesting ideas about direct mail.

The main points with direct mail that work for me are:

1) A cover letter customized for the client or venue. Slightly different for
   Retirement Communities, Street Festivals, Church gigs, Municipal Concerts
   Weddings, Funerals, etc. Statement at the end saying we want to
   work for them etc., and asks them to contact me. (What I am trying to
   sell is that first contact)

2) A page listing band bios (our bios are strong) on one side, and the kinds
   of music we play on the other. Our bios are strong, the music is
   Dixieland, Swing, American Songbook, Small Band Jazz. Concert setting,
   background, dancing etc. On the music side, I include comments from
   satisfied clients. Nothing hits home like those specific comments from
   3rd parties.

3) Another page listing similar venues where we have successfully performed.
   on one side. Like 40 retirement complexes, 50 Municipal events, 15
   weddings, etc., with phone numbers, e mail addresses for contact.
   Other side lists the complete types of venues we have played including
   club dates, jazz festivals, music festivals, corporate, etc.

4) Include my card with colorful logo and website information.

5) All pages include logo, and contact information.

I do not send tapes and/or any sort of sound clips, but I do refer them to
the clips on our Jazz Festival CD which are at CD Baby. Cautioning them that
this was a specific jazz concert setting, themed "Women in Jazz" and so we
included a locally popular jazz singer. So while it may not be exactly what
they are looking for, they get an idea of a specific performance.

All computer generated and mail merged so that each letter seems to be
personal to the recipient. I hand sign each one with a blue felt tip pen, a
carry over from my marketing days.

I keep it as simple as possible and in the cover letter talk specifically
about the music the client and/or venue wants and our basic audience appeal
to people of all ages etc., talk also about our entertaining program.

Works great for us, getting numerous gigs where the mass audience is and
develops a wide following among the local folks.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone