[Dixielandjazz] Direct Mail Advertising

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 17 01:02:50 PDT 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:
> As Larry posted, direct mail is both very inexpensive for him, and very
> effective.

I have used direct mailing for the past twenty odd years, since I ran my
first jazz club. But this is directly to fans.

Hence I started the National Traditional Jazz & Swing Mailing List.

This requires effort. When arriving at a venue, mailing list forms are
put on seats or included in show programmes. I have sold all my
festivals this way and it is far more effective than newspaper or jazz
press advertising.

One downside. With the age of the listees, I am now finding a lot of
people are too old, too dead or too ill to travel so things will change.

I have had to reinvent myself about every 10 years, so another
incarnation is due as the Traditional jazz scene in the UK is in
decline. But the principle of the mailing list will remain. Now, with
e-mail it is very cost effective.

Cheers
--
John Petters