[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet music

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Jul 13 04:04:28 PDT 2007

Bob,

I hear ya, but I would hardly call Haydn commercial c**p.  And, I happen
to like Elton John; I think his tunes are constructed quite musically
and his words are nice.  In fact, I want (one day) to arrange "Your
Song" in jazz (I know, Al Jarreau already did it).

You know, we don't have the commercial force feeding over here that I
hear so much about over there.  Sure, there are the horrible CDs
produced by the 'hits' radio stations, and the jazz section at the FNAC
(big chain record/video store) has dwindled to insignificant, but there
isn't the peer pressure between the younguns where "you ain't cool if
you listen to that."  We have a lot of teens and twenty-somethings at
our concerts that buy CDs.  Last summer, when a young girl bought a CD,
I heard her friend ask if she'd burn a copy for her.

Although, at this point, I want to keep music FUN for Camille.  Yes, she
should learn to transpose, but it is not for me to push her to learn to
do it.  Her father -- who admits to know nothing about music -- says
that his daughter and cello playing son took up music on their own.  He
doesn't even know why they chose those instruments.

He also said that two years ago (Camille played trumpet for 1 year at
that point), he tried to apply some discipline for practicing, to make
working her instrument mandatory.  He noticed her interest in music
waned.  So, he stopped pushing.  Not only did Camille start working
harder, her little brother announced that he wanted to play the cello.

Not all kids are alike despite what the major record labels think.

So, I am going to give her some sheet music (in Bb), music to listen to,
music to play along with and see what happens.  I am not her father, nor
her music teacher.  I just drink red wine with her father after PTA
meetings.

Leïla, my eldest, is interested in the flute and Maya, my wee one, the
piano.  If they end up playing jazz, great.  If not, I don't have any
problems aa long as what they do is rewarding to them.

All the best, Gary

Robert S. Ringwald wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Keep after her.  You might beat out the commercial c**p that is forced
> down the kids throats these days.  Maybe not quite as bad in France?
>
> She should learn to transpose.  Start her now.
>
> --Bob Ringwald
Gary Kiser
Clermont-Ferrand, France

www.myspace.com/garykiser