[Dixielandjazz] "Under the bamboo tree", w/ Bunk Johnson?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 12 03:26:31 PDT 2007

  dwlit at cpcug.org wrote:
> Heard a tape, source etc. unknown, that sounded like Bunk Johnson
> on trumpet, with "Under the bamboo tree", "Down home rag", "Do what Ory
> say", "Maryland my Maryland", perhaps "1919 March". Aside from the fact
> that "Under the BT" sounded like a nice tune that might end up in my
> forthcoming "20s-30s Fake Book", this collection was expertly played
> and
> really exciting. I'd like to get it on a CD. I don't know whether it
> was a
> compilation from multiple sources or was a single album--it sounded
> like
> the latter.

Dear David,
I'm surprised that you don't know these great records.
We here in Oz grew up on the Crescent 78s in the 1940s.
Unless I'm wrong, which would not surprise me, what you are talking
about is the great Mutt Carey - with Kid Ory.

Kid Ory's Creale Jazz Band
Mutt Carey, c;  Kid Ory, tb/vcl; Omer Simeon, cl; Buster Wilson, p; Bud
Scott, bj/vcl, Ed Garland, sb; Minor Hall, d.
Los Angeles 5th August 1945
Panama
Careless Love
Do what Ory say (ko,bs & ens vcl)
Under the bamboo tree (bs vcl)

Darnell Howard, cl; replaces Omer Simeon
Los Angeles 8th September 1945
1919 Rag
Maryland, My Maryland
Down Home Rag
Oh, Didn't He Ramble (ens vcl)

If this is the stuff then it is currently available for $15.00 on Good
Time Jazz CD GTJCD-12022 at Worlds Records.
Kind regards,
Bill.