[Dixielandjazz] "Stealin' Apples"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 11 16:02:55 PDT 2007

Dear friends,
A few weeks ago, listmate Nancy Giffin asked me [off list] "did Fats
Waller write "Stealin' Apples?" to which I replied:
"Yes. Thomas (Fats) Waller, music with words by Andy Razaf. Copyrighted
on 10 July 1936.
The first recording of it was made on 27 March 1936 by Fletcher
Henderson and His Orchestra.
So far as I can find, it has never been recorded with a vocal, nor have
I seen the words anywhere.
Maybe the delightful jazz-angel, Audrey Van Dyke, has them filed away
on the some rare sheet music.
It's a great tune, which our band does regularly, based on the Benny
Goodman version."

This set me thinking some more and I tried to recall whether I had ever
heard a verse to the tune.
So I dug out some versions.
Everyone seems to follow the original Fletcher Henderson arrangement,
with its 2-bar intro (sometimes repeated).
So I queried my old mate, colleague and DJMLer Adrian Ford who not only
came up with the music, including the verse, but also the words!
Now, if I can talk Jack Wiard, our clarinet player, to sing them we may
achieve a world first.

STEALIN' APPLES (1936. Waller-Razaf)
Verse:
I was always taught that it was wrong to be a thief.
He who took his neighbour's good would surely come to grief.
There's exceptions to the tune I guess,
What I used to take bought happiness.

Chorus:
Apple time was always time for stealin',
Just to be with you was so appealin'
Takin' chances,
Stealin' Apples with you.

We would wait and catch the farmer nappin',
In his orchard anything could happen,
Takin' chances,
Stealin' apples with you.

I could hardly wait until you would bite one,
For it meant a kiss if it was the right one.
What a joy dear, it would be,
If I could find myself once more back in wildwood,
Takin' chances,
Stealin' Apples with you.

Kind regards,
Bill.