[Dixielandjazz] Beginner sit ins

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 10 09:34:29 PDT 2007

one of the advantages of the newer jazz models is that you can play almost
any nonsense  and sell it to someone.  I hate to play a solo where the chord
never changes and where the chord is a monster of some kind.  Also where you
might have two chord changes that just migrate back and forth.  To me there
is no direction or form but to them they can play almost anything against it
and call it jazz.  OKOM is much less forgiving and the lines are drawn
darker.  As time has gone by the musical lines have become very faint and
the ears much more forgiving.  I just don't think that today's young jazz
listener demands that continuity but is more impressed by musical
gymnastics.

If you use the Oversold recordings you will notice that the tunes start out
rather straight forward but after about the second time through the chords
keep getting more advanced and by the end the progressions are getting
blurred and you can explore things that you couldn't do in the first time or
two.

I have taken issue on a lot of occasions with the educational system and
teaching jazz but then again if they hear something in it and like it.   I
shouldn't take a lot of issue with that because after all jazz is to be
enjoyed.  I guess that I believe that you can't teach true art but only the
mechanics of it and so many mistake the mechanics for art.
Larry
St. Louis