[Dixielandjazz] ReStarts - how do you do them?

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 2 02:53:51 PDT 2007

deal with a song-stopping level  problem? >>

I saw it happen many years ago on TV.  It was the national final to choose
the song which was going to be Britains entry in the European Song Contest,
which was very big over here at the time.

The singer was Sandy Shaw, I believe and the song was Puppet on a String.
For those not familiar with the tune there is a long vasmped 2 chord
sequence played by the band. The singer comes in with a long held, several
bars, `I` which then drops into `wonder when you say that you care.
Shaw came in with `wonder` on the wrong beat, struggled for a few bars and
then waved to the band to stop. She apologised to the band and the audience
and they started again from scratch.

The tune went on to be Britains entry  and I have often wondered if it was a
put up job to attract the judges attention to the song.  Quite a lot of TV
transmissions were `live` in those days but I just wonder.....

Cheers

Pat