[Dixielandjazz] Beginner sit-ins

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jul 9 09:02:51 PDT 2007

I would agree with the Practice x3 and does give you the basic skills you
need but sitting in a practice room will never teach you how to play off of
another person or to pick up ideas as they flow during a tune.

There is another factor that playing with a band can provide and that's the
stress factor.  That is you get to do it once not a dozen times and it's
live and flowing.  No re-runs no "practicing"  Also it's playing in front of
people to say nothing of in front of other musicians.  There are many good
musicians out there who just can't stand up there and let it all hang out.

Practice gives you the tools but standing up in front of a crowd and with
other musicians that are hopefully better than you gives you something that
you just can't get playing in a practice room.  However having said that the
new materials for practice such as the Jamey Abersold and computerized
practice aids are a great thing to use and are much better than I had.

It's my observation that musicians are overly kind to the newbie.  We had a
young girl of about 15 who was a pretty good player come to a series of
rehearsals.  While she had technical chops she had very little ability to
swing.  It became somewhat painful after awhile.  I was the one being nice
and letting her sit in as a favor to her dad but finally one of the other
musicians came to me and said she just doesn't get it and asked me to not
invite her back.  I had to agree with him so I didn't have her back.  I'm
sure that it upset her dad who is a competent musician himself and is
pushing his daughter to excel in jazz and other ways.  Sticky, sticky,
sticky.

Treating new players overly nice is a reversal of what seemed to be the norm
50 years ago.  It's probably our insane drive to be politically correct.  No
one fails, everyone excels and to prove it we give them a trophy for showing
up.  Many musicians, at that time, had no such restraint and some were
pretty vicious but almost all were not very encouraging to the new person.

I don't think it's helpful to bring a new person on the stand and then not
have an honest face to face later.  Being vicious or nice is counter
productive.  A few words of encouragement and guidance would be worth a lot.
This is where jazz camps would be much more valuable to the beginner where
the person would get a chance to play in a group with constructive
instruction.

This last year the Julliard Jazz group came to my school and had a playing
seminar and got the kids up doing things.  It was a great hit and everyone
including myself went away with a lot of good feelings.  It was more than
just good feelings, the kids who participated got some valuable tips and
pointers.  I think they went away from it feeling that I can do that too.
Larry
St. Louis