[Dixielandjazz] Bob Crosby Name Correction

Edmetzsr at aol.com Edmetzsr at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 17:54:33 PDT 2007

In a message dated 7/5/2007 7:06:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bhaesler at bigpond.net.au writes:

In the 50s and 60s Bob Crosby featured bands under his name all over
the place (he was here in Oz for about a year) and picked up studio men
all the time. Usually the best available when he couldn't get any of
his old team.

Bill, and Listmates,
    Bill you're spot on. I can name dozens of musicians who played as a "Bob
Cat" or as a member of the Crosby Big Band right up until the late 1980s ( I
was one of them). And that's just from the East Coast of the US. Bob had
contractors all over the country who put together groups.  In Wilmington, Lloyd
Johnson covered Washington, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, South Jersey, etc.
Later, after Lloyd passed on, Bob would call Bobby Levine (my partner in the Bob
Cat venture) directly, and we would do cruises, and travel to places like
Pittsburgh, Detroit, West Virginia, Florida, ---- basically everywhere east of the
Mississippi River. Since then, I've run into lots of musicians who "worked for
Crosby", albeit maybe only for one night.
    I guess it wouldn't surprise me to find that there are still 100 or more
players out and about. However, the old original gang that are still  around
you can count on one hand - remember they didn't all take care of themselves
like Buddy Morrow, Zeke, or Max Hermann.
    Ed Metz