[Dixielandjazz] Chord Progressions

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 17:11:02 PDT 2007

Kent Murdick <kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu>

> Emily Remler (sp?) the jazz guitarist once said that she learned to
> improvise by taking chord segments (like Charlie's), writing out 10
> solos over each one and memorizing them in all keys. She said that once
> she did that, she could solo like a pro.
>
> I'm currently learning to play saxophone and can solo a little bit, but
> I'm going to try a scaled down version of Emily's idea.  I'm going to
> take four chord segments, write  five solos and learn to play them in
> five keys.  If this changes my life, I'll do the larger project.

Dear Kent:

Jamey Aebersold advocates a similar approach using the II/V7/I progression.
As he says: (volume 3 The II/V7/I Progression, A New Approach to Jazz
Improvisation)

"The II-V7-I - V7-I, and II-V7 progressions are three of he most important
building blocks of jazz and pop music. They are called cadences which have
been an important unifying factor of all Western music. Most jazz greats
have thoroughly mastered these progressions and can freely improvise over
them in all 12 keys."

Snip to; "The jazz musician takes a chord symbol and converts it to a scale
or 13th chord from which he improvises, knowing which tones will sound best
and which tones will produce tension. Chords and scales are merely guides
that the musician uses to show him where the music is going harmonically.
The more familiar you are with the harmony to a given tune or chord
progression, the easier it is to create melodies to go with the chords. Most
jazz musicians memorize a chord progression as quickly as possible so they
can take their eyes off the music and concentrate on shaping melodies."

His Volume 3 has play along records with various permutations of the above
progressions. Great training aid. Maybe better than writing out solos is to
simply woodshed with the changes coming at you on the CD player. Along with
the scales written out in his companion booklet. Then you can figure out how
to vary those solos and stay creative.

Aebersold has all sorts of play along records, Improvisational aids, etc.
Worth a look at: http://www.aebersold.com/

Cheers,
Steve Barbone