[Dixielandjazz] Blanket Statements?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 5 17:50:52 PDT 2007

Dear Scott:

Kudos to those listed below. But that's 24 teachers, out of how many OKOM
Musos? 10,000? That seems to me to be the very definition of damn few. They,
including you, should be proud to be part of the few.

Kind of like the US Marines. How many are there?  Hundreds of Thousands, but
since there are several million in the Armed Forces of the USA by comparison
and by their choice of words, they are "The Proud and The Few".

Consider also how many of the 24 below actually get their students paying
gigs and become fully involved mentors? Lets get to a 100 OKOMers who
actually "MENTOR" kids before we even think about it as more than a few.

Mentors? Ed Polcer with Jonathan Russell. Lately joined by Bucky Pizzarelli
and others. These guys do a lot more than teach music to young Jonathan.
They get him paying gigs. They introduce him to record producers and club
owners. The promote him. They instill in him, a sense of what the business
of music is all about. And how to value his performances. (Read . . . get
paid a reasonable sum, rather than playing free) Dave Robinson is also a
mentor. How many are there like the guys mentioned above?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone