[Dixielandjazz] Charlie's chord progressions

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jul 5 14:06:16 PDT 2007

Kent
On guitar, changing keys is just a slip of the fret away that is if you are
playing up the neck and not using open strings.  Key is just a matter of
what fret you have parked on or the fingering pattern.  For example the
blues scale patterns can be slipped up and down the neck for different keys.
The basic pattern if put on fret 5 gives you A and so on.

The sax is a completely different animal from the guitar.  If you are
learning to improvise there are probably a lot of things you might do rather
than learn some licks in various keys.

What you describe doesn't sound like improvising at all.  The second you say
"Writing it out" just blows it.  If you are truly learning to solo I would
strongly suggest you start with the Abersold basic blues CD's.

If you have your heart set on it though I would suggest getting some of the
Jamey Abersold records that do just that.  He takes a progression or tune
and puts them in various keys.  One of his CD's goes through all the keys
with 4 different tunes.  I can tell you which CD numbers if you are
interested but that might not be the best way to go about it.  You might
also try taking a familiar tune and keep playing it a half step higher
through all the keys or go around the circle of fifths whichever you prefer.
Just playing major scales that way is good practice.

I think the whole thing is tearing yourself away from the printed page and
go for it.  IMO Learning to listen for chord changes is a much more useful
skill than learning licks in different keys.
Larry
St. Louis