[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet on Harry James' "Green Onions"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 3 16:21:49 PDT 2007

> Tom Lord's Discography on CD lists two alto players who double
> clarinet,
> Joe Riggs and Larry Stoffel, so it's one of those two that takes the
> clarinet solo (he also lists all the reeds doubling clarinet).

Dear Chris,
The Swingtime video of a Chicago TV broadcast in August 1965, from
which I assume the <youtube> clip comes from, had Joe Riggs and Bill
Castell doubling alto and clarinet.
Joe Riggs and Larry Stoffel were on the earlier studio recording of
"Green Onions" for Dot in April 1965.
As Joe Riggs is in the Dot record and in the band for the TV show, my
bet would be on him doing the clarinet solo.
No proof, just an educated discographal guess.
Kind regards,
Bill.