[Dixielandjazz] ReStarts - how do you do them?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jul 2 21:51:17 PDT 2007

 David Richoux wrote:

 > So I was watching the Paul Simon Gershwin Award broadcast on PBS
> (great show, BTW) and there was a major mishap  with Steve Wonder  totally
> missing a cue. He made a little joke about not reading the  cue-card and
> they started the song over from the start. I think this  was not exactly a
> live show and they could have edited out this flub,  but it was kept in
> the broadcast. I am OK with that.
>
> How do all of you other performers deal with a song-stopping level
> problem? Press on regardless, stop and start over, or what?   What
> happens when the drummer melts down or if the singer totally messes  up a
> chorus? Hope that nobody will notice, the dancers will not be  stumbling
> all over the floor, nobody cares that the song is in the  wrong key, etc.
>
> It happens all of the time, even to the best of us  ;-)
(snip)

 Dave,

It happens very rarely with good bands.  But as you say, does happen.

When it happens to me, if it is bad enough, we do as Stevie Wonder did and
stop, make a comment and start over.  What else can you do?

Of course, if it is not too bad and can be corrected on the fly, we do that
also.

--Bob "Who moved my piano?) Ringwald