[Dixielandjazz] Philadelphia Cracks Down on Buskers

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:55:12 PDT 2007

I think this is part of a trend in cities that are gentrifying.  Wealthy
people spend big bucks to move into hip urban centers because of the vibe
and atmosphere, but then complain about the noise.

I know this is an issue in New York.  I went to a club in Manhattan not long
ago and there were signs outside reminding those waiting to get in to be
quiet as it was located in a "residential" area.  With the growth of luxury
condos in urban centers, the high real estate values are not only pressing
small music venues to close (CBGBs for instance), but also bring in whiny
residents that complain about noise.   My personal opinion is, if people
really wanted peace and quiet, why move to Manhattan or Center City
Philadelphia?

There's a trendy neighborhood here in metro Detroit called Royal Oak.
Though primarily residential, it has a bustling center area with lots of
restaurants, clubs, theaters, and a lot of people out on the streets.  Over
the past few years, there have been a bunch of "luxury lofts" built to
attract affluent "arty" types.  One thing about Royal Oak is there's a major
train line that runs right through it.  The sound of the train whistles etc.
add to the character of the neighborhood.  Well, some guy who bought one of
these overpriced lofts next to the train tracks tried to sue to stop the
trains from going by at night because he couldn't sleep!

All the best,
Rob McCallum