[Dixielandjazz] I Wanna Be Like You (was Aba Daba)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Jul 1 17:33:31 PDT 2007

Bill, (and all)

That is a Kenny Ball record I don't think I have - do they do it like
Louis Prima? It must have been recorded very soon after the movie was
released!

Is there anyone on the list who knows more about the "trad" recording
sessions for that film?  I have looked at the liner notes for Disney
CD soundtrack reissues of "Bear Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like
You" but there was not a lot of specifics.  I know Frank Thomas was
the director, but did he actually play? Tubist George Bruns ("Yo Ho -
A Pirate's Life for Me" and "Dave Crockett!" ) is listed for music
credits - was the rest of the Firehouse 5+2 gang involved in any way?

Maybe all will be revealed in the 2007 DVD reissue of the film. There
was a "Making of" on the 1997 release but I don't have it.

Previous  Disney CD releases of tracks from it are sort of vague
about the personnel (other than the "stars" Prima and Phil Harris -
and some web listings don't even include Prima as a "star!")
movies.yahoo.com lists some music credits:, Robert and Richard
(brothers?) Sherman and Terry Gilkyson for "Bear Necessities." http://
tinyurl.com/ysf25n

By the way, the Jungle Book 2 (apparently a bit of a flop) had noted
New Orleans jazz fan John Goodman in the Phil Harris role of Baloo.

Dave Richoux