[Dixielandjazz] POGO in Ought Eight (was I Go POGO too)

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:30:23 PST 2007

Charlie and others of the Pogo ilk--
     OK, the following is from a four-panel Pogo cartoon cut out of
the newspaper (possibly in 1960) and kept in my Pogo book called
_Pogo Extra (Election Special)_ (1960).  It is not as off-topic as i
originally thought, because one of the characters is Bun Rabbit, who
is a drummer, and there is even a drum in the panels.  (He's a
drummer because he has a job walking about the countryside, screamin'
commercials for various unlikely businesses--you know, THAT kind of
drummer.)  He and Porkypine are sitting on the ground underneath a
tree, leaning back on a log.

Panel 1:
     Porkypine: "Why's you sayin' mean things 'bout ol' P. T.?"
     Bun Rabbit: "'Cause he's always politicklin' . . . in this game
we're s'posed to be funny."

Panel 2:
     Bun Rabbit: "Tell me . . . what's funny about politics?"

Panel 3: [Porkypine stares straight out at us, the readers, as in
disbelief.  No dialogue.]

Panel 4:
     Porkypine [addressing Bun Rabbit]: "How much time you got?"

     Furthermore, the history of political campaigns and elections is
fraught with dixieland jazz, as there used to be (and may still be)
bands playing "Happy Days Are Here Again" at political rallies for a
candidate.  I've never played any of these gigs myself, but just this
morning i did play helicon in a band (with cornet, soprano sax, and
banjo) at the Government Technology Conference at the Convention
Center in downtown Austin, to generally puzzled (but occasionally
appreciative) attendees.  Played about 35 minutes and got paid pretty
well for it too.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**  "People with opinions go around bothering one another."
**                 -- The Buddha