[Dixielandjazz] Woody Herman's Caldonia

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 30 22:06:42 PST 2007

>Speaking of Woody Herman's vintage 1945 "Caldonia", when I was merely a lad,
I was told that during the recording, someone shouted a vile 2-word
profanity which begins with an "f" sound. To hear this musical gem (the
timing was just right), listen at the end of the unison trumpet chorus
during the rhythm section's brief interlude. It's best to put on headphones
and turn the gain up somewhat.
I was told at the time that the shouter was Shorty Rogers but I have no
confirmation of that.<

Dear Stan,
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I've just listened to the three versions I have of Woody Herman's
"Caldonia".
But please don't tell everyone that Haesler has some mid 1940s First Herd
recordings in his collection! It's only because the great Dave Tough was in
that band for a while.    8>)
All use the same basic chart.
1. The Columbia session of 26 Feb 1945.
This is probably the one you are referring to, as it was available widely on
78 at the time. Following the Ralph Burns piano solo there are the two
unison trumpet 'choruses' you refer to. The band calls out after the second
one, the bass takes over for about two bars and what may be the "word" is
heard as Woody comes in with the vocal.
2. The V-Disc session recorded at Victor on 16 Jan 1946 - but once thought
to be made in mid-Feb 1945.
Two unison trumpet 'choruses' on this one include an "ah" called out after
the first 'chorus'. The band cheers at the end of the second part before
Woody joins in with his vocal.
3. A version on an obscure CD (TKO/United Audio UAE 30352) which I can't pin
down.
This seems to be from the same period but has no vocal calls during or after
the two unison trumpet 'choruses'. The unison trumpets then play a two-bar
intro into the Herman vocal.
So it looks like the Columbia is the one you are citing.
I've just checked both the LP and CD of this one.
When I was an enthusiastic teenager in the mid 40s I would certainly have
'heard' that "word" on this disc. Because the rebel in me wanted to. Now I'm
not so sure.
Kind regards,
Bill.
[Who would never have listened to Herman Herd records in the 40s, 50s or
60s!]