[Dixielandjazz] Jump Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 30 14:27:58 PST 2007

> Commenting on Jump Blues, there was a Chicago outfit in the mid-1930's -
Harlem Hamfats - that were playing, and some say originated, jump blues.
There was also a long tradition of small Chicago piano, guitar, drum
sessions by Big Bill Broonzy, Little Brother Montgomery, Big Maceo and
Washboard Sam that performed some up-tempo blues as part of their
repertoire. Memphis Minnie and the jug bands from the Memphis area certainly
were precursors of jump blues as well. Then there's Sammy Price from Texas,
Slim Gaillard w Slam Stewart, the Spirits of Rhythm and, yes Wingy Manone in
the late 1930's.<

Dear Martin,
What a wonderful reply to this thread. I certainly wish I had written it.
I hope that all our listmates will read and digest your message,
particularly those who have been lauding at length the awful noise put out
by Woody's last Herds.  8>)       [Duck for cover Bill!]
Then to seek out the music, along with the first Louis Prima recordings from
his 1934-1936 Chicago period.
I was formulating a similar reply regarding the real 1930s origins of 'jump
blues': the Race Record catalogues of the 1930s - 1940s. Now I don't have
to.
'Race Records'. That should upset some of our PC DJMLers.
I grew up with these 78s from the mid 1940s and still have the stuff, albeit
most now on rare LPs and obscure CDs, and love 'em. So did the very early
'rockers'.
Kind regards,
Bill.